Looking for careers inspiration? Ask an Expert!

It doesn't seem that long ago that I was a final year University of Sheffield History student, feeling pretty clueless about my future career. I had some vague ideas about wanting to work in libraries, museums or the arts, but I really didn't know how to get from being a student to the working world. Luckily for me the Careers Service decided to run an occupational event on 'Getting into Arts Administration' that year. And even more luckily for me (because I didn't read my emails) my dissertation tutor told me about the event and said that I would be stupid not to go along!

Well I did go along and I can honestly say that it's one of the best career decisions that I've ever made! I found out about occupations that I'd never even heard of, and got a real sense of what it was like to do these jobs on a day-to-day basis. I picked up lots of useful tips and advice from people working in the sector, and some great general advice on how to make the transition from student to professional.

So now I'm encouraging you to take up similar opportunities. This semester the Careers Service is running a series of 'Ask an Expert' events. At these events you'll get the opportunity to hear from a panel of experts representing a range of roles in different organisations. You’ll then get the chance to talk informally with these experts, and many more, who will be able to answer your questions about the sector. 

Today we had 'Ask an Expert: A Career in Social Research - is it for me?', but over the next few weeks we have the following:
  • Working in Care and Health - Thursday 19th February
  • Work in the Built Environment - Wednesday 4th March
  • Writing for a Living - Thursday 5th March
  • Working in Arts and Heritage - Thursday 12th March
  • Environmental and Conservation Careers - Thursday 23rd April
You can book your place at any one of these events by visiting our What's On Diary. Even if you're only vaguely interested in a particular sector, my advice would be to go along anyway because it could prove to be the best career decision you ever make!

Katie (Careers Information Officer)

Careers Service

Careers Service

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.